Last week, in anticipation of having a friend over for Tex-Mex food a few days later, I just couldn’t help myself and decided to break into the ingredients ahead of time. Besides, it was Monday. Tortilla pizzas are a great way to use up all kinds of ingredients, and you just need a little bit of each one.
Go easy on the cayenne pepper should you decide to add that at the end. The bacon, pepper jack cheese, avocado, and fresh cilantro are the key flavor points here. If you make substitutions, just be sure to think about variety in texture and taste.
It may look small and delicate, but this dish is loaded with protein!
- 2 tortillas
- olive oil cooking spray
- 3 slices bacon
- ⅛ cup yellow bell pepper, diced
- ⅛ cup onion, diced
- ½ cup refried beans
- ⅛ cup black beans
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- ½ roma tomato, sliced
- 2 strands fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ avocado, scooped and sliced
- salt, pepper, & cayenne pepper spice to taste
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Cook bacon in microwave according to directions.
- Chop/slice onion, pepper, tomato, and avocado according to above list.
- Spray tortillas with cooking spray, then heat in oven for 2 minutes.
- After removing, spread refried beans over tortillas.
- Top with remaining ingredients, finishing with cheese and spices.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until cheese has melted and pizza is heated thoroughly.